Monday 5 March 2012

Spring is in the air...

...even though we woke up to a thick layer of frost this morning.
However Spring is poking it's head up with the daffodils and crocuses.  I have especially been 'feeling it' in my sewing.
The last few weeks I have been embroidering the Daisychain Sampler pattern from Alicia Paulson's Rosy Little Things shop.  I an sewing it in floss rather than crewel and I have been loving it, finding it remarkably soothing and one of the most enjoyable things I have ever made.  I realise as time goes on my true crafting love is hand sewing.  Something I began to learn/feel as I was sewing hex after hex together.  I haven't really tackled embroidery much before, a wee bitty here and there and a dip of the toes in some cross stitch, although I discovered I'm not keen on that. This is my first real foray into such a varying amount of stitches.
Take a looksee...


My cool wee Loftus on the Hipstamatic and north facing window are not doing the colours justice so 'here's one I took earlier'...


 I made this wee house for my Kindle too, copying some of the flower designs from the above pattern and adding a bumblebee and sunny buttons.



I put wadding it it for protection and am glad I made one myself  but I never enjoy using a sewing machine as much as I continually think I am going to.
No doubt I'll make an Autumn/Winter house for it too.  Love my Kindle.  Much easier to stroke cats whilst reading...

I cannot leave without a photo of cake, too pretty to leave out.



Take care, my lovelies.


X

23 comments:

  1. The hand sewing is beautiful. Wish I could be so neat when I sew.
    Like you, I find cross stitch a bit labour intensive, counting squares gets boring after a while. I am enjoying Sashiko though which is quicker and so pretty.

    I'd certainly have a gander at your etsy shop should you decide to open one.

    Jana x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Hubby laughs that sewing is the only thing I take my time doing! I'm very anal about neat sewing!
      Must look at Sashiko and thank you for saying you'd have a gander, appreciate it! x

      Delete
  2. Hello you!!! :-)

    Your sewing is absolutely gorgeous - so beautifully neat. I can imagine those pretty flowers on your Kindle cover around the bottom of a cardigan ... lush.

    Spring really is coming my friend, I can feel it in my water!!

    So lovely to 'see' you.

    Hxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your talents never fail to amaze me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sampler stitchery, it's a real beauty I have toyed with the idea of making this too. The kindle cover is just great, I have just bought myself a kindle last week (I love it) and I'm looking for inspiration for a great kindle cover, thanks.
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the embroidered letters, the colours are especially beautiful. I'm feeling the Spring as well, although I've had to run out twice today to re-peg down my cloches in the vegetable garden the wind is to bad. I've yet to make a Kindle cover, I keep seeing lovely homemade ones in blogworld but can't settle on an idea for own version. Beth (the linen cat)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: kindle cover, probably best I never looked at other peoples and just let the idea form. Too much inspiration can be confusing sometimes.
      Still got my fingers crossed for your giveaway Beth. xx

      Delete
  6. Your sewing is lovely, it is so therapeutic and relaxing siting and hand sewing, as well of course as eating cake!! which by the way looks scrummy!
    I notice on your work that you have your own label, I have been looking into having some done for my work and was wondering where you obtained yours from, if you wouldn't mind letting me know I would be very grateful.
    Jillx you can reach me via my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, I sent you and email with the link to where I got my labels. xx

      Delete
  7. Looks like you have been busy all sorts of great and yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning embroidery there.............. I haven't yet succumbed to a Kindle, but I think 'tis only a matter of time........... ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought a kindle would read differently from a book but the printed word feels exactly the same but so much lighter and easier to handle. You can even balance it on your lap without it moving about or falling off, love it!! Get one Cathy, you won't regret it!! xxx

      Delete
  9. Your hand embroidery is fabulous.
    I love my kindle too, now that I've got used to not easily being able to flick backwards and forwards to find out what's going to happen. I haven't read so much in years. The trouble is that I seem to think the books are free. Buying with one click with no money changing hands or having to input card details is a dangerous business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW exactly what you mean about the quick 'apparently costs nothing' purchases. I got a whole series of Ben Hope books(ex SAS, kills LOTS of bad people in ingenious ways and lots of explosions - sucker for these types of books)in a blink of an eye, mind some were only 50p or 99p so a bargain really!!?? I think!
      Do you really skip to find out what is going to happen, you impatient lady?
      xxx

      Delete
    2. Yep! With a 'real' book I always read the ending when I'm about halfway through the book. I don't like surprises!

      Delete
  10. Wow that stitching is gorgeous, I know what you mean, there is something very calming about sitting and stitching by hand, beautiful work. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful. I've tried embroidery but I'm rubbish at it. lol. And that Kindle cover - I think I may need a Kindle now, just so I can have a cover like that! :-D Jude.x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from all you interesting folks out there so don't be shy.
Had to put the annoying word verification back on as the spam was getting silly. Forgive me! Ali

linkwithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails